Thursday, June 02, 2005

 

Penne with smoked salmon and vodka

Ciao everyone!

Isabella is back from her poca vacanza (little vacation) and happy to post a simple but delicious recipe. This dish combines smoked salmon with a tomato vodka sauce--a delicate, elegant combination. You can put this beautiful recipe together while the pasta is cooking. It's that easy to do. Enjoy!

Penne with smoked salmon and vodka (serves 2)

1/2 lb. penne pasta (or any tube pasta)
4 oz. good quality smoked salmon (I used Echo Falls smoked Scottish salmon) cut into bite-size pieces
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium clove of garlic, minced
1 medium to large shallot, minced
2 or 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/4 cup good quality vodka
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 -3 Tablespoons parsley, minced

Bring a large pot of water to the boil and cook the pasta until al dente.

Meanwhile, in a medium to large pan, saute the minced garlic and shallots in the butter until just soft. Add the plum tomatoes and gently simmer for about 5 minutes, add vodka and let the alcohol burn off while the sauce simmers another 2-3 minutes. Add heavy cream and gently simmer another minute or so. Add the smoked salmon and heat through.

Drain the pasta, and add to the salmon/vodka/tomato mixture. Heat through until sauce covers the penne. Serve immediately in pasta bowls with a generous sprinkling of parsley.

Quick, easy and elegant.

Comments:
Nice to have you back!

Again, another lovely recipe and sumptuous photo to accompany it! I may even have the ingredients around here to make this, but alas, I shall have to eat it all myself - my friend is super low carb and wheat free...usually. She won't touch pasta with a 10-foot pole, but will eat my chocolate fudge pudding. A wheat prioritizer, you might say.

Nonetheless, I'll see if I can try this sometime soon and let you know.
 
That looks wonderful!
 
My husband makes a mean smoked salmon on the BBQ. This would be a great way to use the leftovers!
 
Isabella--

Do you ever submit your recipes to food mags? I got a recipe published in October in Cooking Light and they pay better than some of the lit mags!
 
I can't wait to try your recipe. I appreciate the fact it's only 2 servings...a nice touch because my family is going thru some downsizing.
 
Was just scrolling through blogs and came up on yours. Your food looks great and I like the concept of your blog. Will have to try out your recipes.

Like your political leanings also.
 
Doesn't cooking the salmon not spoil the texture?
 
WC,

I've been away two long weekends in a row. I'll get back to you in a private email. Hope all is well with you. Will check your blogs later in the day.

GWB, tshsmom,

Thanks.

Ed,

The smoked salmon is added at the very end and the recipe says to just heat it through.

P.A. Moed,

Glad you enjoy the recipes. I've never thought of submitting a recipe. Thanks for the suggestion.

dbackdad,

Thanks for stopping by. Hope you come back now and then for more recipes, and do try the other cooking blogs I've linked to. Also for political commentary, there's the very wonderful Great White Bear and the very incisive and often hilarious New World Odor under my links as well.

Anonymous,

Most of my recipes serve two or three. I've downsized too.
 
Thanks for the kind words Isabella. Setting up a link for your page on my blog right now.
 
I love how colourful all your dishes are - very appetizing!
 
Just made this for dinner - so easy and very yum! I wanted a low fat version, so used evaporated milk. Worked well, although I'd advise adding the evaporated milk after you take the sauce off the heat, otherwise it separates. Thanks so much!
 
Mouth watering recipe.Preparation time is very less. Nice dinner for weekend.I like to enjoy this recipe with vodka and Cohiba cigars.Thanks for the recipe.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Silktide SiteScore for this website